Friday, August 2, 2013

Marinated Tomato Salad


Wonderful picnic fare!

I take this to picnic outings in a plastic container. Once I arrive at the picnic spot I remove the tomatoes from the storage container and arrange in a pie plate or a dish with a little bit of depth. This is one of my most requested recipes and I wish I could remember who gave it to me. It's a beautiful salad and very special!

 
Ingredients & Preparation

You will need
  • 4 large ripe tomatoes
  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1tsp salt
  • 1/4tsp pepper
  • 1 small clove garlic, minced
  • 1tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1tbsp fresh basil, chopped
  • 2tbsp onion, finely chopped
Serves:  6
Preparation Time:  20 Minutes
 
 

Step 1: blanch tomatoes

Bring a large pot of water to boiling. Drop tomatoes into boiling water for 8 seconds. Remove from boiling water and immediately plunge tomato into ice water. Remove skin and discard.

Be careful not to leave tomatoes in boiling water too long. This process makes removing the skin easy.

Slice tomatoes and place in a pie pan or plastic storage container.

Step 2: Make marinade

Whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour marinade over tomatoes and cool in refrigerator. Allow tomatoes to return to room temperature before serving.

tipThis recipe is best with beefsteak tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment